Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What Kind of Day Has it Been?

Every so often I'll look back at what shows I've been watching lately. Most notably those I've seen in complete seasons and/or entire aired shows. Other times which shows I've seen the pilot or a couple of episodes of, and found to be unable to satisfy my criteria for a TV-show. And other times I'll only be looking back at the regular shows I've been following for seasons to go, judging them on their standards according to previous seasons. All these will be labeled Lately and found under the recurring header at the right side of this blog.



This time around I've spent a lot of time with the creations of Aaron Sorkin. I looked for the second season of Sports Night and the entire The West Wing-series for my brother. Even if I've watched both series in full a couple of times previously, I started watching some episodes of the first season of Sports Night myself. After ten episodes of it I was once again deep into the world that is the genius of Sorkin, and decided to again undertake the epic beauty of The West Wing. So the last week or so I've not only seen the complete West Wing serie, but I've also repeated one and a half season after I was done. I'll be back later to give my takes on it, and especially on the first season(s), but that's not for the Lately-column.

Prior to my revisit of Sorkin's world I did for the first time check out Fringe. As I haven't really ever got the Lost fever back after abandoning it during the third season, I'm not a J.J. Abrams junkie. I do however have a thing for Joshua Jackson, so Fringe have been on my to-do-list quite a while. As it turned out it was better than I feared. I wasn't really ever a X-files fan either, and I feared Fringe would be too much alike it. Fringe didn't really start out to well, but as I had been told it was gonna pick up I gave it a chance and it soon captured me into its world. I quickly watched everything aired so far, and I'm now looking forward to they pick up airing after Easter. I still have objections and reservations towards it, but I've got hopes they'll manage to lead the show on the right track from here.



After The West Wing I've checked out a couple of new shows pilots. Yesterday I watched Justified. It wasn't at all impressive. They just tried too hard to make the main character seem tough as nail. A walking cliché if I've ever seen one. I did catch the subtle attempts to show his softer side, but between the weak ass script and the acting I'll not give it another episode to convince me of its strengths. Today Parenthood managed to get the same sentencing. I couldn't even get myself to watch the entire first episode. During the entire main family they're looking to follow, the number of characters with any depth or substance whatsoever can probably be easily overlooked. I wasn't as impressed by Band of Brothers as many others, but I still enjoyed it a lot and I'm looking forward to take on The Pacific. I just haven't got around to it yet.

Other shows I really haven't seen before, but who's now found their way into my check-it-out future is among others Mad Men, 8 Simple Rules, Buffy-The Vampire Slayer and True Blood. And I'm still pleased someone figured out Southland would probably be smart to pick up for another season. I'll most likely also take on the rest of Sports Night as well as the lone season of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip while I'm still in Sorkin-mode. Those not as familiar with him might not know this, but this blog entry's title is the same as all his three shows have named the season one finales.

This entry's long enough now, so I'm not going to start talking about any of those shows I do still keep up with weekly. I'm not sure if I've stopped watching any during the last couple of months either, but a new lately entry were I evaluates the season so far is probably not that far away.

Until then,
ZapperLife

No comments:

Post a Comment