Sunday, March 14, 2010

The end of something simple. The beginning of everything else.

I love TV. TV is such an underestimated way to tell a story, often ridiculed as a pop cultural waste of time. Truth is TV has got possibilities movies haven't got when it comes to how they tell a story. Unfortunately quality and large amounts of advertiser money doesn't always meet and greet. As a result many quality TV-shows have never got the air time and attention it deserved, and more often than not the result is simply the axe. Their slot opens up for another attempt to struck gold finding the next Ally McBeal, Grey's Anatomy, 24, Friends, Lost or X-Files to secure its actors and actresses instant fame, the network a lot of money and its creators a carte blanche for whatever his or her next three or four crazy ideas might be.

 Lost is no doubt one of those shows striking gold

For every flavor of the week, there's a lot of quality only remembered by the smaller masses that discovered the treasure. These cult classics might never get the recognition they deserve, but are often remembered fondly for life by those who was lucky enough to get that attachment to it. An example might be Firefly. A show I haven't yet checked out myself, but I do have it available for when I'm in the mood to take on the short journey towards its final aired episode. I've got no idea how often I've seen people describe Firefly as "the best show ever to air", "to cancel Firefly was the worst decision ever" and the likes of these. You don't get much more of a reward in the business than such fan reactions to the cancellations.

Sometimes large campaigns manages to change the minds of those looking to axe the show in question. I remember Jericho was initially axed after one season, but the public reaction got another season going. They didn't manage to come close to a third, but the voice of the people can in some cases have an impact.

To me the biggest loss is Veronica Mars. How they could cancel it after only three seasons is beyond me. It's still the best show I personally feel never got to run its natural life. A couple more seasons on Hearst College and Veronica Mars could have vanished into history as one of the greatest TV-tales ever told. You see some shows go on for 8-10 seasons, and the later ones are just milking money of the brand name. Then it's really annoying to think about what kind of a TV-quality landmark shows like Veronica Mars, Firefly, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and their likes could have made on people if the only got a couple more seasons. I take my part of the blame. I also kept watching shows like Cold Case and CSI way longer than they deserved my attention.

I really miss this classic show and that sassy character

I'll spend this blog talking about TV-shows I watch, new ones or old ones revisited or discovered, I'll talk about TV in general, review shows partly and in full and complain when some executive doesn't agree with me on what's quality and what's not as they once again axe one of the few shows I really really enjoy unlike all those I watch more as a habit or guilty pleasure. I'll be shameless when singing the praises for those I feel deserve it. Not only in a blog every now and again, but I'll dissect them through seasons, main choices in characters cut or added and so on and so forth. And I'll do so without any professional values or education to guide me. I'll do it because while I might not have the slightest idea of how to consider a Van Gogh, a Picasso or a Shakespeare, I do know what I like or dislike in TV-shows or movies. I might not emphasis on the red herring, the allusions, the clichés or even the lack of originality, but on the big picture of how well the creators, writers and actors manage to entertain me. At the end of the day that's all I'm asking for. Entertainment. And TV-shows have the ability to entertain in the purest form. I'll just do my best to let you know how they succeed when it comes to my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment